Albanian Digital Nomad Visa
Albania is a hidden gem located in the southeastern part of Europe. Despite being one of the most beautiful countries in the Balkans, it remains virtually unexplored by tourists and digital nomads. However, as remote work becomes more popular and accessible, more and more people are discovering the benefits of making Albania their new home.
In order to leave your daily routine behind and start a new life in Albania as a freelancer, you can use a digital nomad visa.
In order to attract more digital nomads, the Albanian government has introduced a legal framework that will allow foreign remote workers to reside in the country for a long time and introduced the Albanian Digital Nomad Visa, also known as the "Unique Permit".
The Albanian Digital Nomad Visa allows remote workers to live in the country for an extended period of time. At the same time, it is not allowed to work for local companies or have local clients - all income must come from foreign sources.
For how long is a residence permit issued for a remote worker?
The Albanian Digital Nomad visa is a residence permit that allows remote workers to reside in the country for up to 1 year with the possibility to request an extension for a second year. After the second year, they can extend it for another five years.
Main requirements for obtaining a Digital Nomad Visa
- Legal entry to Albania
- An employment contract with a company or a service contract with a contractor registered outside the territory of Albania. Apostilled, translated and notarized
- There is no exact requirement for earnings, but it must be sufficient to live in the country. You can be guided either by the minimum wage in Albania - €3572 per year, or by the requirement for a residence permit for pensioners - €10379 per year
- A rental or purchase agreement for housing in Albania
- Health insurance valid for at least one year
- Certificate of no criminal record
What documents are required to obtain a Digital Nomad visa?
- Completed application form
- Photo 47x36mm
- Copy of a valid passport
- Employment contract with a company or service contract with a contractor registered outside the territory of Albania
- Document confirming professional qualities that allow you to perform your current job (diploma, courses or work experience)
- A contract for renting or purchasing housing in Albania
Note: All documents must be translated into Albanian and notarized.
How to apply for a visa?
The application for a digital nomad visa is submitted online. Follow these steps:
- Go to the Digital Nomad visa application website at https://e-visa.al/. Click Apply now.
- Select the Electronic visa option, then Visa Type "D" below and Visa for digital mobile workers (D) even lower.
- Fill out the application form, upload the required documents and send the application for review.
- After that, you should receive a preliminary approval and a request to pay the fee.
- Pay the visa fee and then you will receive an email notification that the verification process has started.
- The application process takes 15-30 business days.
- In case of a positive answer, you will receive a visa by email, which you will need to show in printed form at the border.
How to get a digital nomad residence permit in Albania?
Once you are in Albania on a D visa for digital nomads, you need to get a residence permit. You can also apply for an Albanian residence permit online and you need to do it within 30 days after entry.
1. Go to the website and click New Application
2. Fill out the application form and upload the required documents
3. Submit the application and print a copy for yourself
4. Within 30 days, you should receive a notification of acceptance of your application by email
5. The letter will contain an invoice for the fee, which must be paid within 24 hours
6. From that moment, the applicant is issued a temporary residence permit in electronic form
7. Then, within 7 days, you will need to send the following documents by mail to the local Ministry of the Interior
- originals of the uploaded documents
- 2 photographs
- a receipt of payment of the fee
- a printed and signed copy of the application form
8. Within another 30 days, the application must be approved and an invitation to appear at the local Ministry of Internal Affairs for biometrics must be sent by email
9. Get a resident card
Digital Nomad Visa in Albania for [Citizens
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.