Why is Spain the best country for digital nomads?
Over the past few years, digital nomadism has become a way of life, and the list of countries offering visas is only growing. However, Spain is recognized as one of the best countries for digital nomads. Find out more about why Spain is the best country for digital nomads in 2024
According to the results of 2023, Spain became the leader of the Digital Nomad Visa Index rating and was recognized as the best country in the world for digital nomads. Considering that the visa application program for remote workers became officially available in Spain only in June 2023, such a result can be considered truly fantastic.
Why is Spain the leader? What other countries are recognized as friendly for freelancers? Let's talk further.
What is the Digital Nomad Visa Index?
The Digital Nomad Visa Index is a ranking system that rates and ranks countries based on their suitability for digital nomads. The advantage of the study is its complexity, because many factors that affect the life of a digital nomad are taken into account:
- availability of a specially designed visa for digital nomads;
- Internet speed;
- the taxation system and the duration of the tax-free period;
- income requirements for visa applications;
- cost of living;
- global health assessment (GHS);
- availability of popular tourist spots in the country.
Why did Spain become the leader?
Spain leads the ranking of the best countries for digital nomads, because the country has some of the most favorable conditions for the life of remote workers, including:
- tax-free period – 6 months;
- tax level - 15%;
- average Internet speed – 248.25 Mbit;
- minimum income for issuing a visa – 2140 euros;
- average cost of living – 674 euros;
- assessment of the health care system - 60.9.
The country is distinguished by a minimum income for obtaining a visa, a highly developed health care system and a low cost of living. You should also not forget about the tourist potential of Spain - numerous attractions, sea resorts and mountain peaks make the country one of the most visited in the world.
Planning a trip abroad? An important component of a successful trip is a travel insurance policy, because it guarantees the provision of high-quality medical care in any corner of the world and is able to protect you from unnecessary expenses during the trip.
You can buy insurance from verified agents on the Visit World portal. Go to the link, choose your nationality and country of destination and search for a policy that will meet your requirements.
Who else made the list of best countries for digital nomads?
In addition to Spain, six countries with a zero tax rate for digital nomads made it to the top ten: Argentina, Romania, UAE, Croatia, Uruguay and Malta. Portugal, Norway and Andorra also took leading positions.
How to apply for a Spanish digital nomad visa?
There are two ways for expats to apply for a Spanish digital nomad visa:
- Arrive in Spain on the basis of a tourist visa and apply in the country. After completing the documents, the expat receives a residence permit for 3 years.
- Issue a 1-year visa in the country of residence (at the Spanish consulate), enter the country based on it, and later change this card to a 3-year one.
Benefits of a Spanish Digital Nomad Visa
The Spanish visa for digital nomads has a number of advantages:
- Simplified taxation system – during the first four years of living in Spain, digital nomads will pay 15% tax instead of the standard rate of 24%.
- Facilitated process of starting a business - the approved law on startups makes it easier to start your own business in the country. The registration procedure will last several hours and will be conducted online.
- Fast application process - from 15 to 45 days.
- Travel opportunities – with a Spain digital nomadic visa, you can travel visa-free to other Schengen countries.
- The right to reside in Spain for five years - first the visa is issued for 1 year, then the permit can be extended for three and two more years. After five years of residence in the country, you can apply for a permanent residence permit.
- Moving with family members is possible - your wife, partner or children under the age of 18 can accompany you to Spain.
- Affordable average cost of living – although Spain has a reputation as one of the most expensive regions in the world, especially in terms of housing, it is still very affordable.
- Ability to work for local companies - You have the right to work for a Spanish company, but the income from Spanish clients cannot exceed 20% of your total income.
Read more about the visa of digital nomads in Spain at the link.
Igor Usyk - Head of Legal Department at Visit World
For safe relocation to Spain, obtaining refugee status and employment, use the advice of an international lawyer.
We help to solve complex and simple issues for your comfort and safety in Spain.
Products from Visit World for a comfortable trip:
Checklist for obtaining a visa and necessary documents in Spain;
Legal advice on immigration to Spain;
Travel insurance for foreigners in Spain;
Medical insurance all over the world.
Germany, a country with a strong economy and significant potential for growth and development, attracts many entrepreneurs who dream of starting their own business abroad. This is not surprising, as Germany offers a stable business environment and extensive infrastructure. Learn more about the specifics of starting a business in Germany
14 Dec. 2023More details
The British government has announced tough new immigration rules that will reduce the number of people who can move to the UK each year. Learn more about the planned changes in the UK's migration policy
11 Dec. 2023More details
The holiday season brings a dazzling array of lights and decorations to European cities. Streets and parks are decorated with millions of twinkling lights, creating a magical atmosphere perfect for evening strolls. Find out more about the best Christmas destinations in Europe
12 Dec. 2023More details
Are you planning to start a new life in one of the European countries? Find out more about the top 5 countries in Europe to live and work in, which offer great job opportunities and a healthy work-life balance
13 Dec. 2023More details