Medicine and healthcare system in Iran: leading industries and main clinics
Historically, it so happened that the traditions of healing in Iran originated as early as 700 BC. Even then, Iranian doctors were able to treat thousands of different ailments with the help of herbal medicine (herbal treatment) and minerals. Today, Iran is a popular medical tourism destination. It combines excellent quality medical services with relatively low prices. All this is thanks to government agencies that invest a large budget in the development of the healthcare system, and strictly control the organization of the work of all clinics, including doctors.
Thus, consider the main advantages of medical treatment in Iran:
1. Good level of education in the country. More than three dozen universities and 200 institutes in the country provide quality training for future medical personnel.
2. Modern equipment in hospitals. Almost all clinics in Iran are equipped with the best and most accurate medical devices and instruments.
3. Permanent participation and financial contribution of the Ministry of Health in the functioning of the medical infrastructure.
4. Affordable pricing policy. Unlike the cost of medical services in Turkey and Israel, Iran manages to maintain a balance between the price and quality of medical care.
Leading directions and clinics in Iran
In recent years, the country has made significant progress in the achievements of Iranian medicine. Three main directions:
• Treatment of infertility using modern methods of biotechnology and genetic engineering.
• Dental services. The skill of Iranian dentists and orthodontists is exceptional. And all dental clinics work according to professional standards, providing high-quality service at a low cost.
• Decent level of development of transplantology. There are more than 80 special centers for the transplantation of internal organs and tissues in Iran, which meet the needs of not only the local population but also assist foreign citizens.
The medical infrastructure of Iran has more than 1500 institutions that work in different directions, and has only modern equipment available:
• Laleh Hospital. Part of the Laleh Private Hospital Group, which is well known for its first-class medical care. The clinic is located in the western part of Tehran. Laleh was built according to the latest standards of the Ministry of Health. Main areas: IVF, radiology and radiation therapy, surgery, and hematology.
• Hospital "Nikan", located in Tehran. It is the first private clinic to receive an international Green Award certification for its 100% patient-centered approach to improving the quality of medical services. The hospital operates in such important areas as maxillofacial surgery; orthopedics; neurosurgery; general and plastic surgery.
• Hotel-hospital "Gandhi" - the most professional and most technically equipped hospital in Iran, operating 24/7. The hotel and hospital complex "Gandhi" has an area of 32,000 square meters, which has 22 floors for diagnosis, treatment, and accommodation, as well as 11 floors of specialized clinics. Main specialization: pediatrics, cardiology, ophthalmology, oncology, and others.
To provide the necessary assistance in all these hospitals, there is an emergency department, a hospital, an operating room, a resuscitation, and intensive care unit, including one for newborns.
Recommendations for foreign citizens
The medical care system in Iran is based on two main aspects:
• provision of insurance services;
• medical treatment on a paid basis.
Most medical facilities are located in the capital Tehran. Outside of this city, the level of medicine is much weaker. This is due to a shortage of essential drugs and modern equipment. In this regard, we recommend that you carry a minimum set of medicines with you, especially if you have chronic diseases.
In case of need to receive emergency assistance, foreign citizens need to pay only a part of the amount for hospital treatment and medicines. And further medical treatment is already paid for in full. Therefore, when planning a trip to this country, an important condition is the availability of an insurance policy issued before arrival. The insurance must be of international standard and the larger the amount of insurance coverage, the better, especially in the current conditions associated with COVID-19. You can buy insurance on the website, where you can choose this service of several categories, as well as travel insurance with covid coverage. Thus, services are not paid directly at the local hospital, but by the host, as the company indicated on the travel insurance policy.
Iran is a country that has been hard hit by the consequences of the coronavirus infection. Before planning a trip, it is better to clarify the entry rules due to the COVID-19 restriction. Information can be clarified by downloading the checklist.
5 minResidence permit
5 minResidence permit
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.