Education and the education system in the Netherlands: how to enter a university for a foreigner



Education and the education system in the Netherlands: how to enter a university for a foreigner

The Netherlands is a European country that, in terms of income and education of its citizens, occupies one of the leading places not only in Europe but also in the world. The country is notable for the fact that for more than 200 years a law has been in force on its territory that guarantees the quality of education. The state is also famous for the fact that back in 1950 it offered education in English for foreign citizens. The sphere of education in the country is extremely developed, and all educational institutions are glad to see foreign citizens in their ranks.

The structure of the educational sphere

In the Netherlands, all educational institutions are divided into public and private. 30% of them belong to the state, the remaining 70% are private institutions. In the field of private education, the state exercises strict control over curricula, so their quality remains traditionally high everywhere.

The entire educational structure is traditionally divided into three components:

Initial. Children aged 4 to 12 study here.

Average. In turn, it is divided into three types - pre-professional, basic, and pre-university. These classes are for children aged 12 and over, depending on the chosen program.

Higher. These are traditional higher institutions. It is allowed to enter from the age of 18.

At the end of primary education, students take an exam. After that, they enter secondary school in the chosen direction. VWO and HAVO programs give the right to enter higher education institutions.

Education is available for children not only to residents but also to foreigners. People who come to work or for other reasons living in the Netherlands can always enroll their children in a local school. In this case, it is necessary to comply with the condition for knowledge of English and Dutch languages. The list of documents is different in public and private schools. Usually, this is a traditional set - a passport, information about past education, origin, work certificates, and the solvency of parents.

Higher education in the Netherlands

In the Netherlands, all higher education institutions are divided into three types:

Polytechnic universities (previously they were called higher schools). There are 39 of them in the country. They are aimed at teaching applied sciences.

Classical universities. They have an academic focus. They carry out research activities. Their number is 18 pieces.

Higher education institutions for foreigners. including business schools. There are 6 institutes of international education in the country.

The duration of study for a bachelor's degree is 3-4 years. The exception is technical and medical specialties, where the training period is 5 years. If a student wants to get a master's degree or a doctor of philosophy (Ph.D.), then he must study for another 1-2 years (depending on the specialty). The Doctor of Philosophy must defend his title.

How to apply to a university as a foreigner in the Netherlands

All international students must demonstrate proficiency in two languages:

English language. The applicant must have an Upper-intermediate level or 6.0 points on the IELTS scale, or 78 points on the TOEFL scale. For admission to the Faculty of Philology or Journalism, the requirements may be higher. For example, 7.0…7.5 in IELTS.

Dutch. All universities accept NT2 and CNaVT certificates. The first of these certificates can only be taken in the Netherlands.

The admission process begins with the student leaving an application on the university website. Then a representative of the university will contact him and ask a few simple questions regarding education, citizenship, motivation for learning, knowledge of languages, and other formalities. If all goes well, he will grant access to the university website.

Next, you need to collect documents for entering the university. In individual educational institutions, they may differ, but in most cases, this set looks like this:

certificate of secondary education and its copies certified by a notary;

motivation letter about the desire to study at a particular university;

language proficiency certificates.

A visa is required to cross the border. To pass exams and submit documents, you can come to the Netherlands on a regular visa, and for studying you will need to apply for a special student visa. To do this, you can contact the embassy or consulate of the Netherlands in your country. Another option is to seek legal consultation of obtaining a visa to the Netherlands from a professional agency. Its employees will solve the relevant problems in the shortest time.