Citizenship and permanent residence in Haiti: necessary documents
Haiti is a state located in the western part of the island of Hispaniola, as well as on the coastal islands. The eastern half belongs to the Dominican Republic.
The country is the first in the world where power belongs to African Americans. The official language is French.
At the same time, the country is one of the poorest and most unstable countries in America, constantly suffering from famine, natural disasters and coup d'état. So the passport of a citizen of Haiti is not the most prestigious status in the world.
But life is unpredictable, so it is quite possible that you will need to emigrate for temporary residence permit in Haiti, obtain a residence permit, permanent residence, or even citizenship of this country. Citizenship here can be acquired by birth, descent and naturalization. Being born in the Republic of Haiti does not automatically confer citizenship.
A child of at least one parent who is a Haitian citizen by birth acquires Haitian citizenship by descent (right of blood) regardless of their country of birth. A child born abroad must be registered at the nearest Haitian consulate or embassy in order to obtain citizenship.
Haitian citizenship may be acquired by naturalization subject to the following condition: the person has resided permanently in Haiti for a period of five years.
Dual citizenship of the country is not recognized. The exception is a child born abroad to Haitian parents who acquires the citizenship of the country of birth; she can keep the dual until she comes of age. Upon reaching the age of 18, one of the passports should be abandoned.
For almost all citizens of the world, if they go to Haiti for a period not exceeding 90 days as tourists, a visa to this country is not required.
To enter the airport of the capital Port-au-Prince, it is enough:
present a passport with a validity period of at least six months from the moment of crossing the border;
pay a tourist tax in the amount of $ 10.
The only exceptions are a few Islamic states and Vietnam.
In all other cases, you need to apply for a visa. You can apply for a guest or tourist, diplomatic or service, resident (residence permit) visa.
Where can you apply for a visa
It should be noted that there is not a single representation of Haiti in the CIS countries. So you have to look for the nearest abroad.
Only a tourist visa can be issued at the airport.
The list of documents for a tourist visa that must be submitted to the embassy:
- a valid passport;
- two color photographs of a passport format;
- a completed and signed application form (the template can be found at);
- a written statement about the purpose of the trip, where and with whom you will contact in Haiti;
- data on the place of residence in Haiti - the name and address of the hotel, the address of acquaintances or friends, apartments, etc.;
- copies of the international passport and booking of hotel and air tickets;
- a certificate from the place of work indicating the salary.
If you plan to stay for more than 3 months in Haiti, this is considered as temporary or permanent immigration. And it requires a residence permit or permanent residence.
The process begins with obtaining permission from the Department of Immigration and Emigration (DIE), for which the following documents must be submitted:
- Application in triplicate, indicating data such as full name, date and place of birth, citizenship and nationality of the applicant, profession, positions for the last 10 years, address and phone number, marital status (data on spouses), reason for moving to Haiti, contacts persons with whom there is a connection in Haiti, information about participation in public organizations, parties, etc.
- Proof of financial status (bank statements).
- Certificate from a Haitian bank with a minimum specified deposit.
- Documents on education.
- A copy of the employment contract (if available).
- Help from the last place of work.
- Two colour passport size photographs.
- Medical certificate.
- Certificate of no criminal record.
After obtaining permission, an application for a visa is submitted to the consular department of the embassy. With the addition of the following documents: an application for a residence permit, 6 colour photographs, a health certificate issued no later than 15 days, a certificate of no criminal record.
5 minResidence permit
4 minResidence permit
3 minResidence permit
2 minResidence permit
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.
All materials and articles are owned by VisitWorld.Today and are protected by international intellectual property regulations. When using materials, approval from VisitWorld.Today is required.