Moving to Azerbaijan: what foreigners need to know
Azerbaijan attracts with its stable economy, development and high standard of living. We will tell you what you need to obtain a residence permit and move to the country
Azerbaijan is considered the largest and one of the richest countries in the Middle East. The republic is actively developing its economy, tourism, and education. At the same time, the cost of living is quite low. This is what attracts foreigners who plan to run their own business, get an education, or simply live in the country. We will tell you how to stay in Azerbaijan longer than the validity period of a tourist visa.
How can foreigners obtain a residence permit in Azerbaijan?
Foreign nationals can obtain a temporary residence permit if they
- have close family ties (including not only first-line relatives, but also siblings who have one or both parents in common) with citizens or residents of the Republic of Azerbaijan
- own real estate in Azerbaijan, the value of which starts from $60,000 (approximately), or a similar amount in the accounts of local banks. Important: the value of real estate is determined by independent agencies, and the real value of the contract is not important;
- invest from $300,000 in the development of the state economy;
- set up and run a business. Important: the company must officially employ at least 5 people full-time, and 80% of employees must be Azerbaijani citizens;
- work for a local company with a special work permit;
- study at universities or colleges, always full-time;
Please note! Residence permit may be granted to persons in need of protection or victims of human trafficking.
Get legal advice from a local specialist in visa and migration issues. To receive the service, select the country of interest and citizenship
What documents are required to obtain a residence permit in Azerbaijan?
If there are grounds for obtaining a residence permit, foreigners must apply to the migration service of the country no later than 30 days before the end of the temporary stay and provide
- an application form of the established sample;
- a copy of the identity card used to enter the country;
- a notarized copy of the birth certificate (or a relevant equivalent);
- notarized papers giving a reason for residence in the country;
- medical certificate of the established form;
- a document certifying the availability of sufficient funds for living or official employment;
- an extract from the housing register for the house or apartment where the foreigner will be registered;
- application and a copy of the identity card of the person providing the accommodation (if the foreigner does not have his/her own real estate);
- a document on payment of the state fee;
A full list of required documents can be obtained at a consultation at the migration service or from a specialized lawyer.
A temporary residence permit is valid for 12 months with the possibility of further extension for up to 2 years.
Permanent residence in Azerbaijan
A foreigner with a temporary residence permit in Azerbaijan can apply for permanent residence. To do so, it is enough to reside in the country continuously for two years. Uninterrupted residence is considered to be residence during which a foreigner does not leave the country for at least 90 out of 180 days.
The procedure for applying for permanent residence is similar to the procedure for obtaining a residence permit. However, such an application may be submitted no later than 3 months before the expiration of the temporary residence permit.
How to open a business in Turkey: advantages, types of companies, requirements and advice from lawyers
Turkey attracts businessmen with a stable economy. This country has some of the best conditions for starting your own business and many advantages. Learn more about the types of companies in Turkey, requirements and taxes
03 Feb. 2023More details
Employment in Azerbaijan: benefits, jobs for foreigners and obtaining a work visa
Azerbaijan offers a wide variety of professions for expats. In many cities of the country, foreigners are offered a variety of vacancies to suit every taste. Here are the advantages of employment in Azerbaijan and obtaining a work visa
15 Mar. 2023More details
Travel to Barbados: entry rules and useful information
Barbados is a fairy-tale island surrounded by coral reefs with wonderful beaches, lush tropical wildlife and a smooth mild climate all year round. Check out the visa requirements for Barbados entry regulations
24 Mar. 2023More details
Traveling to Congo: entry rules, list of required documents and visa application
Congo attracts tourists from all over the world with its incredible scenery and pristine nature. Find out more about the current rules for entering the country, visa requirements for travelers and the list of documents
26 Mar. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.
All materials and articles are owned by VisitWorld.Today and are protected by international intellectual property regulations. When using materials, approval from VisitWorld.Today is required.