Travel insurance for foreigners: what are the types of travel insurance and why is it needed when traveling
To avoid unforeseen situations and ensure a safe stay abroad, you need to take care of insurance. Find out more about the types of insurance available and answers to other popular questions
Travel insurance is a type of insurance policy that covers risks associated with travel. Depending on the type of travel insurance, you can protect yourself from a number of unforeseen situations that may happen during your trip.
What are the types of travel insurance and why is it needed? Details in our material.
Why do I need travel insurance?
It is quite beneficial for tourists to take out travel insurance before traveling, because travel insurance covers the following losses:
- Trip cancellation or delay – In case of trip cancellation or delay due to any unforeseen reason, the insurance companies will reimburse the expenses. Cancellations/delays may be due to weather, strikes or any other reason.
- Emergency medical care is the cost incurred in the event of any medical emergency, illness or injury during travel. It covers the costs of hospitalization, ambulance, doctor's examination, medicine, etc.
- Loss of luggage or personal belongings.
- Theft or break-in of bags or personal belongings.
- Death or disability of the insured person.
- Emergency evacuation.
- Refusal of booking, etc.
Comprehensive travel insurance covers all the above costs.
Medical insurance covers only expenses related to the insured person's illness or injury.
Types of travel insurance
Travel insurance policies can be divided into an insurance policy for domestic travel and an insurance policy for international travel. In most cases, insurance companies offer a travel insurance policy for one trip. However, you can choose a policy that will be valid for several trips.
Types of travel insurance:
- A one-time travel insurance policy is valid for one specific trip.
- Multi-trip travel insurance - covers multiple trips to certain places over a long period of time, for example, over a year.
- Insurance for students - designed for students who go on educational trips, especially abroad.
- Group insurance is aimed at travelers who are going on a group trip. Usually, the insurance covers at least 7 people. This insurance is quite economically advantageous.
Can I purchase travel insurance after departure?
In most cases, you can purchase travel insurance on the day of departure. However, insurance companies have different rules regarding the last date for the policy.
How long can you travel with travel insurance?
Not every insurance agent's travel plan covers long trips. In some companies, the maximum duration of insurance during the trip is 45 days, in others - 90 days. Therefore, the duration of travel insurance depends on the chosen insurance agent.
Is it possible to take out two travel insurance policies?
Taking out two travel insurance policies is not illegal, but such a situation can complicate the procedure for obtaining insurance benefits. It is impossible to receive compensation for damages twice. Instead, insurers will discuss the cost-sharing procedure and this can take quite a long time.
Does everyone need travel insurance?
In most cases, travel insurance covers damages related to reservations and emergency medical care. The availability of insurance can protect the tourist from unforeseen expenses during the trip. Also, medical insurance is included in the list of documents required for obtaining a visa to most countries of the world. When passing through border control, tourists are often asked if they have travel insurance. Therefore, travel insurance is necessary for most international trips.
Tips for travel insurance
- Check whether the policy applies to your destination, pay attention to possible restrictions and exclusions.
- Compare the cost of the policy in several insurance companies to find the best price-quality ratio.
- Look for an insurance provider with a good rating so that you can easily receive funds in case of compensation and have informational support.
- Check whether the policy covers your entire trip and whether there are any travel time limits.
- Check exactly what risks your insurance covers: medical assistance, trip cancellation, emergency evacuation, etc.
Where can I buy travel insurance?
VisitWorld offers to take out verified insurance from a reliable insurance agent online in just 5 minutes. Choose the package of services that will best suit your trip using the following links:
Traveling often involves risk. Insurance can help reduce the amount of unforeseen expenses and give tourists peace of mind. The main thing is a reliable insurance agent.
Products from Visit World for a comfortable trip:
Medical insurance all over the world;
Legal advice from a local specialist on visa and migration issues (to receive the service, select the country of interest and citizenship).
Legal services for expats in Germany: when a foreigner may need expert advice
Living in a new country is always a challenge. When moving, migrants are often faced with the problem of finding housing, language barriers, and more. Find out more about when you may need the services of a lawyer in Germany
15 May. 2023More details
Spain Entry Requirements: how to apply for travel visa and other important conditions
Spain has its own unique flavor, rich history and traditions. Numerous sandy beaches and beautiful nature will give every visitor to the country a lot of pleasant and unforgettable impressions. Here are the rules for entering Spain and how foreigners can apply for a travel visa
16 May. 2023More details
Moving Abroad Checklist: 12 Things You Need To Do Before Moving Abroad
Immigration to another country is always a complicated process. In order not to get confused, it is worth remembering the main important points of preparation for the move. Here are the important things to keep in mind when planning your immigration
17 May. 2023More details
16 Things You Need to Know Before Visiting Norway
Norway is an incredible country that attracts travelers with its unspoiled nature. In addition, the country beckons with a high standard of living and a stable economy. Find out the top things you need to know before traveling to Norway
18 May. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.
All materials and articles are owned by VisitWorld.Today and are protected by international intellectual property regulations. When using materials, approval from VisitWorld.Today is required.