Travel to Ireland: what tourists need to know
Ireland is an incredibly beautiful and wonderful country for tourism, a trip which will be remembered for life. You can see their stunning landscapes, large peninsulas with beaches, green hills, modern cityscapes, and impressive architecture, as well as get acquainted with delicious local cuisine. How to plan a trip to Ireland, what you need to know about this country, what documents to prepare – read in the material.
Rules of entry into the country
Foreign nationals of countries that are members of the European Union, the European Economic Area, or Switzerland can visit the country without a visa. Such tourists have the right to enter and reside in Ireland for up to 3 months, providing only a valid passport or national ID. No other formalities are required.
Tourists from individual countries outside the EU or EEA need a business or tourist visa for travel, which is designed for short-term stays of up to 90 days. Even if under certain conditions such a visa is not required, you need to obtain permission to enter the state by contacting an immigration officer at the port of entry. After all, there must be documents confirming the purpose of the visit. In addition, all documents must be issued in English, otherwise, you can provide a notarized translation and original.
What documents you need to submit
If you are going to visit Ireland for tourist purposes for a short period (less than 3 months), and you also need to apply for a visa, prepare the following documents together with a completed and signed application form:
• Full information about the reason for the visit (for example, seeing friends or family);
• If you plan to stay at the hotel, you will need written confirmation of the reservation of the room with the specified date and period of stay;
• a letter from the Recommender from Ireland inviting you to come to the country where you need to provide contact details for reference, scheduled dates of stay, and information about where you will live during your visit;
• written obligation confirming that you will comply with the terms of the visa and leave the state after the expiry of the permission to stay.
• detailed information about the relationship with the person that invited you to the country;
• a document confirming the financial ability to ensure travel and stay in the country even in unpredictable circumstances. A detailed bank statement on income for the last 6 months is required.
For more information on the documentation required for a visit or tourist visa, visit the Immigration Service (ISD) website and the Ministry of Justice.
Details on visa requirements for foreigners at the link.
Conditions of transportation of luggage
All tourists who are going to go to Ireland by plane should remember about certain rules for the transportation of luggage. Among the items that are strictly forbidden to take on board are the following:
• stun devices;
• sharp objects;
• explosive chemicals and devices;
• any other object that can be used to cause harm.
There are also certain prohibitions on hand luggage. You can carry only a small amount of liquids (packed in one package) in separate containers with a maximum capacity of 100 ml each. Such liquids include:
• water and other drinks, soups, and syrups;
• creams, lotions, and oils;
• foams and deodorants.
Such restrictions apply only to hand luggage. At the same time, you can take on board the medicine and dietary products necessary for use during the trip. For more detailed information, you should check with the airline.
Card and cash
In Ireland, the main currency is the euro. You can exchange money at any local bank, airport, or hotel. You can pay with both cash and a credit card. However, before traveling, make sure that the bank card can be used at Irish ATMs.
Transport, car rental, and the validity of your driver’s license
In Ireland, you can travel by several modes of transport. Among the most popular:
However, the most comfortable transport for travel to the cities of the country is still a car. In Ireland, you can easily rent any car. Speaking of a driver’s license, there is no problem with it. Tourists living in EU or EEA countries can exchange their driver's licenses for Irish ones. The same rights citizens of Ukraine have a permit to stay in the country.
Hotlines, embassy contacts, more links to useful sources
• List of embassies accredited in Ireland.
• Information and tips for tourists staying in Ireland.
• Irish Police.
• Police phone number:
• Call an ambulance: 911 or 112.
• Report road accidents: 0818 205805.
• Report crimes anonymously: 1800 250025.
• National Ambulance service Ireland.
3 minResidence permit
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.
All materials and articles are owned by VisitWorld.Today and are protected by international intellectual property regulations. When using materials, approval from VisitWorld.Today is required.