Permanent residence in El Salvador: advantages of living, citizenship and visa

Residence permit
El Salvador


Permanent residence in El Salvador: advantages of living, citizenship and visa

El Salvador is the smallest country in Central America. It is also the most populous and industrialized country in this part of America. It has an area of 2,041 km2 and a population of 6340000 inhabitants. The capital is San Salvador and the form of government is a presidential republic. The gross domestic product of El Salvador is 57285 million US dollars and the official currency is the US dollar.

Life in El Salvador seems insane to many, and perhaps it is. However, this country has a lot of good things to offer.

The advantages of living in El Salvador

1. The first advantage of living here is definitely the cost of living. You can feel comfortable on less than $500.

2. A fare on public transportation costs 25 cents. As for food, a package of 30 eggs will cost you about $3.70, a bar of chocolate 60 cents, and a can of tuna $1.50. As you can see, these prices are affordable for everyone.

3. Another great thing about El Salvador is the people. Everyone will offer a helping hand when you need it. In addition to being very friendly, they are also very open-minded people and their joy of life is contagious.

4. The beaches of El Salvador have a special charm that impresses all visitors, which is why it is one of the most popular destinations in Central America. Some of its best beaches include:

El Cuco: the perfect place to spend a day of nautical adventure with friends or family.

La Barra de Santiago: one of the favourite places for a romantic night out for couples.

La Costa del Sol: the longest beach in the country, 15 kilometres long. Here you can enjoy surfing in its crystal waters.

5. El Salvador is sunny and warm all year round. The average annual temperature is 25 °C, which is really barbaric. The "coldest" month of the year is December with an average temperature of 23°C.

Obtaining a residence permit for investors

Foreigners can apply for investor status, provided that their investment exceeds 400 thousand minimum monthly wages applicable to commerce and services in El Salvador. They can also apply for investor status if they have the status of a legal representative of a national company or a foreign affiliate that has been established or created in the country.

Consulted visa

The visa procedure under consideration is for foreigners from "Category C" countries (according to the classification table for visa exemption purposes and mandatory visas for El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of El Salvador) who wish to enter El Salvador. This visa will be issued with prior authorization from the General Directorate of Migration and Aliens.


There are 2 types of residence:

1. Temporary residence. Provides the right to carry out certain activities defined at the time of application for a residence permit.

2. Permanent residence. Provides the right to reside permanently in the country. It can be requested by those who are citizens of Central America or Panama by birth, as well as by those who are the spouses of citizens.

Work Permit

Those with permanent residency do not need a work permit to carry out gainful employment.

Those who are temporarily resident must apply for a work permit in order to engage in gainful employment. This permit must be obtained from the Directorate General of Migration. If they do not have a permit, they cannot legally carry out paid activities in the country.

There are two ways to acquire citizenship

By birth: applies to any person born within the country, except those whose parents were illegal or temporary residents at the time of their birth; foreign-born persons whose parent holds a valid citizen identification card; or citizens of any Central American state that was part of the Federal Republic of Central America.

On naturalization: applies to any person who has resided in the territory for a set period of time. Applies to: Spanish or Latin American citizens with 1 year of residence, foreigners with 5 years of residence, foreign spouses of nationals with 2 years of residence, persons who have rendered exceptional services to the country.

Citizens entering the country with the intention of settling in El Salvador must submit an application for a residence permit to the Directorate General for Migration and the Directorate General for Migration and Aliens.