Student exchange programs: how they work, advantages and the most popular
A student exchange program is a great and popular way to gain new experience, live in a foreign country, explore a different culture and meet new people. Here's how the program works and what you need to know before you go on such a trip.
Student exchange program is a great and popular way to gain new experiences, live in a foreign country, explore another culture, and meet new people. These programs allow foreign students to study in another country or region, while complying with the educational requirements of their own university. Undoubtedly, one of the main advantages of student exchange is the opportunity to improve language skills.
Such a number of advantages make student exchange programs more and more popular in the world. Most students participating in student exchange programs are between 15 and 21 years old.
How does the student exchange students programs work and what do you need to know before going on such a trip? Details in our material.
What is a student exchange program?
A student exchange program is an agreement between two universities, according to which students from one educational institution have the right to study at another institution for a certain period of time. The duration can vary from a few weeks to several months and usually includes academic training and accommodation. In some cases, international students can also work while studying abroad, but this depends on the program and the country's labor laws.
Most international students go on exchange programs to the USA, Great Britain and Canada. A student visa is required for legal residence and study in these countries.
How does the student exchange program work?
International student exchange programs allow students from different countries to experience life in a new country. They provide students with the opportunity to gain knowledge about a culture, develop their foreign language skills, and establish intercultural relationships by immersing themselves in a new way of life. In general, these programs involve the student attending classes at a university or school in another country, living with a host family, and participating in exchange country activities.
Programs may be organized by the student's home university or school or by individual organizations or governments.
There are two types of student exchange programs: short-term and long-term exchange:
- The duration of a short-term student exchange program can vary from one week to three months. These programs are often referred to as summer, intensive, or cultural exchange programs. They are ideal for students interested in community service and cultural activities. Students can apply to public or private agencies for short-term student exchanges.
- A long-term exchange usually lasts from six to twelve months. For long-term student exchanges, the student usually needs a student visa. The problem with this type of student exchange program is that students have to integrate into the host family and immerse themselves in the local community and environment. Since these programs last at least 6 months, it is important that students are flexible and open-minded so that they can enjoy their time in the host country. Students interested in long-term student exchange programs are expected to know the language of the host country. For example, there are some programs that require students to take a standardized English proficiency test.
What are the benefits of student exchange programs?
The experience of studying abroad is different for every student, but the common thing is that this experience will definitely be remembered for a lifetime and will have quite a lot of advantages:
- An opportunity to try a new way of life – studying abroad will allow the student to learn a new culture and lifestyle, change his habits and gain new experience in unfamiliar situations.
- Expanding employment opportunities – more and more employers are looking for workers with international experience. Also, studying abroad demonstrates to an employer that you can quickly adapt to changing situations and are good at solving problems. It also gives you a better understanding of different cultures, which is highly valued in the workplace, especially in international companies.
- You will get to know different learning styles – studying at another university may differ from the teaching style you are used to. Use this as an opportunity to try out different study methods and find out what type of study works best for you. It is also a great way to immerse yourself in a new academic environment.
- New opportunities for language learning – studying abroad gives you the opportunity to fully engage in learning the language of your host country. In addition to the language practice you'll get in everyday life, your host university may offer language courses, giving you the perfect mix of spoken and formal language skills.
- You will make new friends - during your studies you will meet many people from different backgrounds - some of them may become lifelong friends. It is useful to have friends in different countries after graduation. Not only will you have an opportunity to visit many different countries, but these people can become an important network of business contacts later in your career.
- Easy world travel – studying abroad is a fairly affordable way to see the world.
Are you planning to study abroad? Be sure to take care of insurance for international students, because it is the key to a peaceful and safe stay abroad.
What is the best student exchange program?
- Full Bright Schuman Student Exchange Program - this program allows students and young professionals to travel to the United States of America. Covers meals, transportation and accommodation for the duration of the program with scholarships. A total of four thousand (4,000) students annually receive scholarships from Full Bright Schuman, and to date, they have enabled thousands of students in 155 countries to study and conduct research at numerous universities.
- Global Student Exchange Program (Global UGRAD) – this student exchange program is exclusively for excellent and successful undergraduate students who have an exceptional academic record and are open to international experience and meeting new people. The duration of the program is one year.
- Erasmus student mobility program – one of the most famous student exchange programs in Europe and the world is the Erasmus program. Undergraduate and postgraduate students can apply for this program if their European university cooperates with the program. The duration of study depends on the options chosen by students and can last from 3 to 12 months. A stipend is also provided, but it does not fully cover the amount of expenses. Under the mentioned program, you can also apply for an internship.
- IIASA Young Scientist Summer Program – This student exchange program is offered by the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA). It is open to doctoral students only and offers successful applicants research opportunities in any of IIASA's core areas of activity. In addition, you will be able to live in Vienna.
- The INTERPOL Internship Program is an opportunity not to be missed by anyone interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement. Interpol has introduced an internship program where anyone can intern at the organization. The student studies in France and receives a monthly allowance of 550 euros. Of course, you must meet certain criteria. For example, you must be a graduate or enrolled in graduate school and be a citizen of any of the Interpol member countries. Usually, the duration of the internship varies and can last a whole year, but it depends on the nature of the internship.
Participating in a student exchange program is an important step in your education that can change your life. A student should be prepared for tough competition, but this experience will have a good effect on the career and outlook of each person.
Find out here about business studies abroad: the best countries, universities and top study programs in the world
Products from Visit World for a comfortable trip:
Medical insurance all over the world;
Legal advice from a local specialist on visa and migration issues (to receive the service, select the country of interest and citizenship).
Studying abroad attracts students from all over the world. After all, a large number of programs and areas of study in the leading countries of the world give an opportunity to open new horizons and master the job of dreams. Find out more about the predictions for 2023 and which countries should pay attention to
11 Jan. 2023More details
A letter of motivation is a document addressed to the chosen university, in which the applicant explains why he considers himself the best candidate for admission to the educational institution. Learn more about the most common writing mistakes, as well as tips and life hacks to avoid them
21 Jan. 2023More details
Many foreigners choose Croatia for higher education because of the high level of professional training and prospects. Learn more about how to enroll in a Croatian university, required documents, tuition fees and other useful information
20 Apr. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.