Medical tourism in Turkey: popularity of the industry, cost of services, medical visa and prospects
Turkey is not only a popular resort for active seaside recreation, but also a popular destination for medical tourism, which has increased several times in recent years. It has the largest number of accredited clinics compared to other European countries. Learn about the popularity of the industry, its features, and a medical visa to visit Turkey.
Turkey has been an important tourist destination for many years, attracting travelers with its beauty and cultural heritage. Located at the crossroads of the Eastern and Western worlds, the Republic of Turkey has absorbed and combined the best of Europe and Asia.
Medical tourism is no exception, which in recent years has gained popularity on a par with other types of tourism. Travelers travel to a country to receive medical care. Among the most popular procedures are complex surgical and dental operations, kidney dialysis, cosmetic surgery and organ transplantation.
Read in detail about the work of the Turkish health care system and the features of medical insurance for expats in our material.
The popularity of medical tourism in Turkey
Turkey is among the top ten medical tourism destinations in the world, because Turkish medical tourism has three strong advantages: low cost, high quality of service and quick access to world-class treatment.
Read more about obtaining Turkish citizenship through investment here.
Immigration to Turkey: what to consider before moving to Turkey from the UK - read here.
Why is Turkey the best destination for medical tourism?
Turkey has become a popular destination for medical tourism due to its advanced medical technology, highly qualified doctors and affordable prices. One of the most popular cities for medical tourism in Turkey is Antalya, which is located on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea, and Istanbul.
Treatment in Turkey has several advantages, including:
- Affordable prices. One of the biggest advantages of medical tourism in Turkey is the cost savings. Treatment and surgery in Turkey can be 60-70% cheaper than in the United States or Europe, making the country attractive to people looking for high-quality medical care at a low cost. For example, the cost of a heart bypass surgery in Turkey is about $10,000, and in the United States - up to $100,000.
- Advanced medical technologies. In recent years, Turkey has invested heavily in medical infrastructure, which is why most hospitals and clinics are equipped with the latest medical equipment. Thanks to this, patients have the opportunity to receive high-quality treatment. Surgical intervention is also performed using the latest equipment and technologies. For example, Turkey has one of the largest robotic surgery systems in Europe, allowing for more precise surgeries and faster recovery times.
- Highly qualified doctors. Most highly qualified doctors in Turkey have significant experience in treating a wide range of diseases. Also, many of them studied in Europe and the USA, so they are fluent in English and other languages. In most cases, there is no language barrier between the doctor and the patient during treatment.
- Beautiful nature and a large number of natural monuments - in Turkey, many cities are located on the seashore, in particular Antalya. Patients can enjoy stunning sea and mountain views while recovering from treatment or surgery. These factors can help reduce stress and improve overall well-being, thereby speeding up the recovery process.
How much does medical tourism cost in Turkey?
Most medical procedures in Turkey are on average 40-50% cheaper than in the EU and USA. Below is a comparison of the cost of medical procedures in Turkey and equivalent procedures in the EU:
- Knee replacement: EU - $16,000-17,000, Turkey - $7,000-8,000, average savings - 50%-60%.
- Nose surgery (rhinoplasty): EU - $5500-6500, Turkey - $3000-4000, average savings - 40%-45%.
- Cataract removal: EU - $4000-5000, Turkey - $1000-2000, average savings - 55%-65%.
- Teeth whitening: EU - $900-1200, Turkey - $400-500, average savings - 50%-60%.
- Installation of dental implants: EU - $3000-4000, Turkey - $900-1500, average savings - 70%-75%.
Do I need a visa for medical tourism in Turkey?
Visitors to Turkey must obtain a medical visa unless they are citizens of visa-exempt countries and territories.
There are generally two types of medical visas available:
- A regular medical visa that you can get through the Turkish embassy or consulate in your area.
- An electronic visa (e-visa), which can be obtained through the online visa system of the Turkish government.
The Government of the Republic of Turkey requires everyone applying for a tourist visa or entering the country on a visa-free basis to have travel insurance that will cover the entire period of their stay in the country.
Prospects of medical tourism in Turkey
In the future, medical tourism in Turkey will continue to develop actively, because the country's government is actively investing in the health care sector. Turkey is also considered an ideal region for health tourism due to the convenience of transportation provided by Turkish Airlines, the national airline that operates flights to most destinations in the world (120 countries, 299 cities and 302 airports).
In 2023, Turkey plans to reach 1.5 million health tourists per year and 10 billion USD in income from health tourism.
Turkey is one of the most popular holiday destinations in the world and is now becoming a popular destination for medical tourism. Hospitals in Turkey offer treatment according to the most modern medical protocols using high-quality equipment. Turkey is a well-known destination for health tourism and will continue to develop the sector in the future.
E-Devlet: How to join Turkey's e-government service portal - read here.
Investing in Turkey: the best opportunities for foreigners - details here.
Read here how to make an appointment at a public clinic in Turkey.
Read more about how to choose an insurance policy for obtaining a residence permit here.
Read here what to do if your application for a temporary residence permit in Turkey was rejected.
Products from Visit World for a comfortable trip:
Checklist for obtaining a visa and necessary documents in Turkey;
Personal lawyer services in Turkey;
Insurance for international students in Turkey.
2 minResidence permit
Obtaining a residence permit in Turkey is a very attractive proposition for many foreigners. In the country, there are two main documents that allow you to live on the territory of the state: Kimlik and Ikamet. Learn more about the relevant documents and the differences between them
06 Jan. 2023More details
Turkey and Kazakhstan are one of the most important and reliable partners on the Eurasian continent. Friendly relations between the countries are also reflected in the field of tourism. Turkey is the main tourist destination for Kazakhs. Learn more about the procedure for entering Turkey for Kazakhs, health insurance and visa processing
13 Jan. 2023More details
Turkey can boast of a well-developed field of medicine. In the country, any person can receive the necessary high-quality medical care. Learn more about the benefits, features and prices of health insurance in Turkey
20 Jan. 2023More details
Moving to another country, and in particular to Turkey, is a serious process for which you need to prepare and know all the nuances. Legal support will help you do this. Learn more about the benefits of a personal lawyer and useful tips
10 Apr. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.