10 Different Types of Work Visas for Working in the US

USA (United States)


10 Different Types of Work Visas for Working in the US

Do you want to get a job in the USA? It is important to know how to get the visa you need. Understanding what types of visas exist and the requirements for each will help you determine which authorization you need. In this article, let's take a look at over 10 different types of work visas, as well as the requirements for them

Get more information about USA
Get more information about USA
Click here

Is it hard to get a US work visa? Most foreigners believe that this is almost impossible. However, every year 1.5 million expats move to work in America. They are mainly citizens of Mexico, China and the Dominican Republic.
The country of dreams offers more than 10 different types of work visas. Therefore, almost everyone can find the most appropriate option for themselves and spend the next winter by the ocean or in bustling New York.
Read about the most popular work visas in the USA and choose the best one for you.

Read about the 5 best countries to move to for retirement here.

USA or Canada for expats: which country is better to migrate to in 2023?

Real estate investment in the US: the best cities for investment in 2023.

Green card in the USA: step-by-step instructions for filling out the I-485 form here.

Top 9 countries for which it is easiest to get a work visa: the best options.

What is a US work visa?

A work visa is an employment permit that gives a foreigner the right to legally live and work in another country. In the US, they are divided into temporary and permanent. Also, visas may differ depending on the type of employment.

Temporary work visas in the USA

On the basis of a temporary work visa, a foreigner can stay in the USA for a certain period of time. Under US law, you are required to leave the country before your permit expires, unless you decide to reapply and continue your stay in the US.
Also, expats with this permit have the right to work in the US exclusively for a specific employer.

● The H-1B visa for highly qualified professionals is one of the most popular types of work visas among foreigners. It allows you to work in America in positions related to computer technology and engineering. Due to the fact that this permit is very popular among foreigners, the United States has set an annual limit for this type of visa - 85,000 permits.
Requirements: College degree (Bachelor's degree or higher) and an offer of employment from a US employer.

● The L-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows a foreign company to transfer a manager or executive director of the enterprise from abroad to its branch office in the United States. If the corporation does not have an office in America, the L1 visa allows you to send a director or manager to the United States to open a representative office.
Requirements: continuously work for the company for at least one year in the last three years.

● Talent visa O-1 – created for people who have extraordinary achievements in a professional field. It is suitable for those professionals who have achieved high recognition in the fields of business, art, education, sports, television and film.
Requirements: provide proof that you are an excellent specialist in your field and known for achievements at the national or international level.

● An E1 visa or a trader's visa allows a citizen of a country with which the United States has signed an international trade agreement to be in the country to conduct international trade between the United States and the country of your citizenship.
Requirements: In order to obtain a visa, the applicant must demonstrate significant trade between the United States and the alien's country of origin.

● The E2 investor visa allows a citizen of a country with which the United States has signed an international agreement to be in the United States to manage a business in which significant amounts of investment have been invested or the investment process is ongoing.
Requirements: the investor must own at least 50% of the company's share and actively work in his business - passive investments are not enough.

● The TN visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows only citizens of Mexico and Canada to work in the United States temporarily.
Requirements: In addition to citizenship, the applicant must have a job offer from a US employer and apply for a position that meets the requirements of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA): lawyer, scientist, engineer, accountant, pharmacist, etc.

● E-3 visa – this visa applies exclusively to Australian citizens and is available only to highly skilled workers. Also, based on this permit, the applicant's family can move to the USA.
Requirements: higher education (minimum bachelor's degree), an offer of employment from an American employer and a high level of qualifications.

● Seasonal Agricultural Visas (H2-A) – Available to foreign workers who want to come to the US for temporary or seasonal work when there is a shortage of local workers. Usually this permit is issued for 1 year, a maximum of 3 years.
Requirements: have an offer from an American employer, be a representative of one of the 86 countries whose citizens can apply for this type of visa.

How to move to the USA? What is the procedure for obtaining a residence permit or citizenship? Detailed checklist here.

Immigrant visas in the USA

In the immigration legislation of the USA, several ways of obtaining a permanent residence permit (green card) based on employment in America have been approved.
After obtaining a temporary residence permit, skilled migrants can change their status to permanent residents. Workers are eligible to apply for these work visas after moving to the US.

  ● EB-1 First Preference – depending on the criteria, three categories of foreigners can apply for this visa:
- Expats who have extraordinary achievements - those who have special achievements in the fields of science, art, education, business or sports can get a visa.
- Outstanding professors and researchers: for scientists whose discoveries have international recognition and provided that the foreigner has at least three years of teaching or research experience.
- Highly qualified employees - for foreigners who work as a manager or head of an international company whose office is located in the USA.

● EB-2 Second Preference – foreigners who have a scientific degree or exceptional ability in their field can apply for this work visa. However, eligibility will need to be supported by certain documents: an official academic transcript, letters from an employer confirming at least 10 years of work experience, licenses or certificates for scientific inventions, proof of salary that demonstrates your exceptional abilities, membership in a professional association, recognition of your achievements and significant contribution to the field of activity.

● EB-3 Third Preference – this type of immigrant visa is available to those who have a work permit and an offer of full-time employment in the United States.
Three categories of workers are entitled to this visa:
Qualified workers are foreigners who have at least two years of work experience in their specialty.
Professionals are foreigners who have earned a bachelor's degree and perform work that US workers cannot do.
Other workers - whose profession requires less than two years of experience and for this job it is also not possible to find candidates in the United States.

For detailed information on each type of visa and a list of documents, visit the Visit World portal. To learn more about the procedure for obtaining a work permit in the United States, consult a highly qualified lawyer.

Products from Visit World for a comfortable trip:

Checklist for obtaining a visa and necessary documents in the USA
Travel and health insurance for foreigners in the USA;
Insurance for international students in the USA.

We monitor the accuracy and relevance of our information. Therefore, if you see any error or discrepancy, please write to our hotline.

Recommended articles

2 min

Travels 7 Best Countries for Americans to Visit

7 Best Countries for Americans to Visit

Where will American tourists feel most comfortable? Find out about the ranking of countries that are the best for US citizens to visit

30 Jul. 2023

More details

2 min

Popular The most helpful 16 tips for first time travelers

The most helpful 16 tips for first time travelers

Getting ready to travel for the first time? Learn more about how to plan your trip, what to pack, safety tips, and more. With these tips, you'll be ready to travel with confidence!

31 Jul. 2023

More details

3 min

Residence permit CRS system: how many points required  to move to Canada under Express Entry

CRS system: how many points required to move to Canada under Express Entry

Foreigners planning to immigrate to Canada are ranked using the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). Find out more about how many CRS points you need to score to participate and how many points you need to score to be eligible to move to Canada

01 Aug. 2023

More details

3 min

Expats E-Devlet: How to join Turkey's e-government service portal?

E-Devlet: How to join Turkey's e-government service portal?

E-Devlet is a convenient online system for providing government electronic services in Turkey. It works not only for Turkish citizens but also for foreigners. How to use E-Devlet and what services are available on the portal is described in the article

02 Aug. 2023

More details