What do you need to do to come to Romania to get a job



What do you need to do to come to Romania to get a job

Professional activity of foreign citizens on the national territory can be carried out only in the presence of a Work Notice or Work Permit. 

According to European Union rules, every EU/EEA citizen enjoys the same employment rights as Romanian citizens and therefore does not need a work permit. Foreign nationals who are third-country nationals can only work in Romania after obtaining a work permit, followed by a long-term work visa and residence permit. The work visa is valid for 1 year, then it can be extended, and then you can get a resident-to-permit ID card. Registration period: 2-3 months. 

There are the following types of work visas for employees: 

● Seasonal workers 

● Trainees 

● athletes 

● Permanent employees 

● Cross-border workers 

● Nominal work 

To carry out business activities on the territory of Romania for citizens of third countries with a stay of more than 90 days, it is also necessary to have a long-term work visa. To obtain it, you need to submit an online application to the Romanian embassy of your country and provide all the necessary documents, and confirmation of business activity. If you plan to migrate to Romania on a work visa, I advise you to purchase our checklist. 

What do you need to do to come to the country to get a job? 

● The employer must apply for a work permit on behalf of the prospective employee by submitting all relevant documents to IGI and paying the appropriate fees. A work permit can be obtained only by an employer, an individual, or a legal entity based on documents submitted to the territorial units of the General Inspectorate for Immigration. 

● IGI will respond to the request within 30 days by providing a solution or requesting additional information for verification. If additional verification is required, the process may take up to 15 days. 

● Once the IGI application is approved, the potential employee will be issued a work permit. 

● The worker must then obtain a long-term visa by applying through Romanian diplomatic missions and consular offices. 

The employee has 60 days to apply after receiving the work permit. Clients with deportations in the Schengen SIS database of offenders with possible fines in the EU are not accepted for work (fines must be paid before submitting documents for a work visa).

Expiration of work visa. Notifications must be sent to local authorities when the employment contract will end. Termination must be recorded in the special Revisal software no later than the first non-working day. 

Necessary documents 

● the original of the foreign passport, a copy of the internal document;

● 2 new photos 3.5*4.5; 

● filled out without errors in one of the two languages (English, Romanian) the questionnaire, for children it is filled out separately; 

● reservation of travel tickets; 

● certificate of a criminal record in your country; 

● certificates, and other documents confirming solvency; 

● health insurance policy (30 thousand euros coverage). You can order a health insurance policy on our website; 

● other documents that depend on the category of the applicant and the purpose of his trip and work experience. 

After entering the country on a long-term visa in Romania, you must request a permit for an extended stay in the country and apply for a residence permit in Romania. When entering on a short-term visa, you do not have the right to extend it. This is a residence permit that allows you to legally stay in the country for more than 90 days and the opportunity to work in Romania. 


If foreign individuals are employed by a Romanian entity, both payroll tax and social security contributions apply, unless a social security certificate such as an A1 form is available. Romania's tax system is a great incentive for foreigners looking to move to Romania, with a flat tax rate of 10% on personal income and 16% on corporate income. Some smaller companies or micro-enterprises, pay lower taxes. Social insurance contributions are 15.5% for employees and up to 32.6% for employers.