E-Class work visas
The Cambodian Department of Immigration (part of the Ministry of the Interior) provides all foreign citizens with an official work permit/employment card to be eligible to work in the country.
All foreign citizens who come to Cambodia for work must first obtain an E-Class visa, formerly known as a business visa, which is valid for 30 days. They must then obtain a work permit and employment card through the Department of Labor and Training (MLVT). Cambodia has introduced new E-Class visa extension categories, which include:
- EB visa: the most common option for foreign citizens who are working in Cambodia. This applies to anyone who works in the country, starts a business, works as a freelancer, and has been in Cambodia for more than a month.
- EP visa: an EP visa is issued to foreigners who have come to Cambodia to find a job, start a business, or stay in the country after their initial 30-day stay on an E-Class visa expires.
- EG visa: a general visa that applies to job seekers. This can last one, three, or six months.
- ER visa: the visa is intended for those who want to retire in Cambodia. They must present a document confirming their retirement in their home country and prove that they can financially support themselves.
- ET visa: this is an extension of a technical visa intended for those who work in certain professions or industries.
EB visa extension
The EOS (Extended Stay) business covers the majority of expats in Cambodia, including those who work, their partners and children, freelancers and volunteers. The current rules require applicants to provide a letter with a seal confirming their work for a Cambodian company). This visa extension can be extended for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months. Please note that visa extensions for 6 and 12 months allow multiple entry.
Spouses and children of EB visa holders must submit the visa holder's employment letter. The letter should indicate that the company supports the application for getting the EB EOS of the spouse as a non-working dependent, and also contains the passport data of the dependents. You will also need to provide the visa holder with proof of your relationship in order to renew your visa.
To obtain a permanent work permit:
1. Passport with a valid visa.
2. Identity documents
3. The copy of the immigrant certificate issued by the minister of the interior (for immigrants)
4. The copy of the Investor certificate issued by The Cambodia Development Council (for investors)
5. Three (3) recent passport photos;
6. Documents for confirming a bank deposit (certified bank statement from any bank in the Kingdom of Cambodia)
7. Payment receipts
In Cambodia, the minimum age for employment is 15 years, as specified in the labor law. Minors (under the age of 18) can’t enter into an employment contract without the consent of their parents or guardian. A minor may also not be involved in night work.
Registration in the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS)
The FPCS app will record information about foreigners when they arrive in Cambodia at any point of entry. It will also record their details when they leave Cambodia. The main goal of FPCS is to protect the safety of foreigners in the event of an emergency when they travel throughout Cambodia. The main Immigration Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs said that it will not resume the visa for foreigners who have not registered in the Foreigners Present in Cambodia system.
Landlords, property owners or hotels/guest houses are required to register foreigners in the system, and this is provided by the General Department of immigration of the Ministry of the Interior of Cambodia.
Self-employment / Temporary work
If you are self-employed and have a registered business in Cambodia, you can write a letter confirming your own employment. This letter must be certified with the seal of a registered business in Cambodia. More information about starting a business in Cambodia can be found here.
EG visa extension
If you have previously extended an EB visa, you will probably not be granted an EG visa, as it is not intended for expats who have already been in the country for a long time. The EG visa is intended only for those who are coming to Cambodia for the first time.
Foreign citizens who are planning to work in Cambodia must also meet the following conditions:
- Have a job offer from an employer that meets the relevant standards for employment of foreign citizens.
- Legally entered the Kingdom of Cambodia
- Have a valid passport
- Have a valid residence permit
- Be suitable for the relevant job
- Do not have contagious diseases.
To obtain a work visa, an employee submits the following documents:
- Name, Gender, Date of birth
- Valid passport
- Identity card
- A confirmation of the residential address
- The certificates of Education
- 3 photos
- A certificate with your health
- A copy of the electronic visa
- The Year in which the expatriate received an electronic visa
- The detailed information about the position in the company (Weekly time, salary, form of payment of wages)
Visa fees are expected to be lower if you have deal directly with the Immigration Department.
New visitors to Cambodia are allowed to apply for their first six-month or one-year EOS EB visa without obtaining a work permission, which will give them enough time to find a job. However, the application for their second six-month or one-year EB visa and all subsequent long-term EB visas must be accompanied by proof of a valid work permit.
Non-working spouses can also apply for an EB visa, but must provide a letter from their partner's hiring company confirming their status in Cambodia in their visa application.
After receiving a work visa, a person must apply for a work permit, which is valid for one year and can be extended for the period specified in the residence permit.
Applications for a work permit can be submitted online through the centralized foreign employee management system MLVT with the necessary information about the employer and employee.
The recommended processing period for a work permit in Cambodia is 15-20 business days after all supporting documents are submitted and payment is made.
Where do I apply for a work permit?
You can apply for employment at any police department in the province or municipality.
After submission, they send the application through the governor to the Ministry of Internal Affairs for review and approval.
How long is a work permit valid in Cambodia?
The work permit is valid for one year. However, it will only be valid until 31 December of the year when the permit was issued. It must be renewed during 1 January and 31 March.
What is the deadline for renewing your work permit?
The official period for renewing a work permit is from January to march of each year. Companies must submit their requests for a quota of foreign workers to the Ministry of labor from September to November of each year.
For renewal after April 1, penalties are applied.
How much does a Cambodian work permit cost?
As of 2022, work permit fees in Cambodia are approximate:
- 200 dollars USA for a work permit.
- 80 dollars USA for a one-year fine if you have never received a work permit.
- 35 dollars USA for exceeding the quota for a foreign employee (for companies).
Cambodia has two different work permits — temporary and permanent. Temporary work permits apply to HR and management professionals, technicians, skilled workers, and service providers/other workers. Foreign immigrants recognized by the Ministry of the Interior, as well as foreign investors, spouses and other dependents recognized by the Cambodian Development Council, are eligible for a permanent work permit.
Required documents for obtaining a temporary work permit:
1. Passport with a valid visa
2. Three (3) recent passport photos
3. The health certificate (must be issued by the immigrant's country doctor)
4. A written employment contract
5. An insurance policy
6. Payment receipts
Cambodia Work Permit for Equatorial Guineans
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.