How to move to South Korea for permanent residence: methods and necessary documents

Residence permit
South Korea (The Republic of Korea)


How to move to South Korea for permanent residence: methods and necessary documents

South Korea is a country with one of the most developed economies in the world. Even though this country has a small supply of natural resources, people here live quite well. It attracts potential migrants who seek a better life.

Previously, the migration legislation here was very strict about foreigners, but in recent years it has been changed. Now there are more options for visas and types of documents based on which you can emigrate legally. What type of visa to choose depends on the purpose of your stay, how to prepare documents, and how much money is needed for this - read on.

Methods of obtaining a visa to South Korea

Today, there are several options for obtaining a long-term visa to this country:

• S-3 Work visa;

• D-2 student visa;

• If you are of Korean descent and can prove it;

• Temporary residence permit;

• Permanent residency;

• Investments in the country.

If you have a job offer from a Korean employer, you can expect to be issued an S-3 visa. Most often, employees apply for this document, it is issued without problems.

After going to South Korea for studies, you can stay and work there and get a residence permit over time. With a D-2 visa, you can still work, but only 20 hours a week. If you or your relatives are of Korean descent or have roots in South Korea, you can apply for a visa. It is based on the Law on Ethnic Koreans and allows you to work under an employment contract with a Korean company.

Permanent residence and residence permit

The F-4 visa allows you to obtain a temporary residence permit for up to 5 years, then it can be easily extended. However, it has a disadvantage - a limitation on the period of stay abroad.

The F-2 visa allows permanent residence in South Korea. It can be obtained by marrying a citizen of the country. For this, you need to add a marriage certificate to the documents. For the first time, the right to a long-term stay in South Korea is issued for three years. After that, you can apply for an F-5 visa, which entitles you to permanent residency or extend your long-term status.

There is also a rather vague point that foreigners who have made a significant contribution to the development of South Korea can get a residence permit. But there are no clear criteria for what kind of contribution it should be. A similar method is professional migration. A residence permit is issued to foreigners who are specialists in certain professions: engineers, professors, etc. If you receive such a document, then you can apply for an F-5 visa or even citizenship.

Obtaining a residence permit is possible through investment in South Korea. You can start your business here or invest money in an existing one, and then you have the right to temporary residence. First, apply for a C-2 business visa, and then it can be re-issued D-8 (provided there are grounds for this).

Obtaining Korean citizenship

To acquire Korean citizenship, you need to marry a citizen of this country, but even this does not guarantee to obtain a passport. It is necessary to apply for all the necessary statuses and fulfill the requirements. For example, staying in the territory of the country and marriage for at least 2 years.

Document procession and fees

All types of visas take two to four weeks to process at the North Korean embassy in your country.

When applying for a long-term visa, you need to pay a consular fee of $90.

The main package of documents:

1) International passport and its copy;

2) A passport-size photo measuring 4x5 cm;

3) The document based on which you want to obtain an entry permit (a copy of a marriage certificate, a document on enrollment in an educational institution, employment, etc.);

4) Bank statement with an amount greater than 30,000 KRW.

All documents must be translated into Korean. Please note that the embassy may ask for additional documents that confirm your status and purpose of travel.